While it’s preferable to try and fulfil your micronutrient requirements through meals, after an intense exercise session, sometimes an extra protein hit is a must. And sometimes, you just want a delicious baked snack, in which case, it may as well be as healthy as possible!
This recipe makes 9-12 bars depending on how generous you’re feeling. Using zero calorie maple syrup is a great way to slash your calories in a sweet treat. I’ve used one from Bulk Powders but there are many different options including one from The Skinny Co. which I also love.
These bars require no baking, just a microwave and a fridge. They’re quick to make and perfect for taking on a long run or cycle.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Add the oats, protein powder, and seeds to a large bowl
- In a separate, microwave-safe bowl, add the peanut butter, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Microwave for approximately 30 seconds, on a medium-low setting- watch carefully. If not fully combined, mix and put back in for 10 more seconds. Repeat until fully combined
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix combined into a thick dough
- Press the dough into the lined tin and flatten out as smoothly as possible
- Melt cacao buttons in a microwavable bowl, and once completely melted, spread over dough
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until cacao topping has hardened
Store in a clean, airtight container.